Get Resume Ready!

>> Sunday

I have been researching lately on how to update my resume and make it pop! It's the 21st century and with how the economy has been it's extremely hard to get a job. However, with the right tools and resume this "recession" may not affect you. Problem #1: Should your entire job history be on a resume? This is the biggest issue people have with their resumes. On mine, I was applying for writing and editing jobs but when you looked at my resume it said Bath and Body Works or any other retail stores I worked at. I don't think that someone hiring me to write cares that I know every flavor and scent of a Wallflower plug-in. Then again, you never know. ;-) Solution #1: Leave your job history to a minimum. I decided that any job you apply for, the person hiring you may want to know that you are....well....hirable. So I decided to list on my resume my last three recent jobs. Especially the one that I worked a long time at because this shows loyalty and consistency. Problem#2: Do people still list their interests? When I first did my resume back in 2000 it was imperative to list your interests. This shows employers that you have extracurricular activities. But is it really that important that they know you enjoy kayacking or singing in your church's choir? Solution #2: Only list your interests pertaining to the position. I went ahead and took my interests off and replaced it with a skills section. However, those that want to leave an interest section make sure it pertains to the job. For instance, if you're applying to be a graphic designer then one of your interests should include managing your website or designing flyers. This way the employer will understand that you truly have a passion and since you already love that type of work, then you'll be the best kind of employee! Problem #3: Should my resume include a cover letter? This is easy. Yes. Solution #3: Always have a cover letter saved and ready to go. Not all jobs require you send a cover letter with your resume, but some do and we don't want to be caught off guard. My cover letter describes my college experience, my work experience, and well my writing experience. The best advice I can give for a cover letter is just have a main one that can be used for the majority of the jobs you apply to. I don't have a cover letter for any receptionist job I may apply for, but if a newspaper asks for one I'll be prepared. Problem #4: If I use color or interesting font, my resume may seem unprofessional? We are taught to use black and white on our resume and simple fonts. To me, this seems so boring, original, and I am afraid that my resume will be overlooked or tossed to the side. On the flip side, you do have to be careful because you do not know who will look at your resume. Someone that has a hard time reading crazy fonts may not like your fancy lettering. Solution #4: Keep it simple, but make it your own. I decided to keep my resume black and white but I made my heading stand out. I picked out ONE font for my title that portrayed me. The rest of the resume, I tried to make headings bold and separate sections for easy reading. However, as I researched on the internet photographers, web designers, grapic designers, artists, and musicians get a little more creative. It is acceptable for these types of resumes to have color, crazy lettering, or not even be on a page at all. Most of their resumes are on a cd or site. So it is very important that you follow guidelines and remember to be yourself!

0 comments: